We are delighted to invite all BSSS Early Career Members to the 2019 ECR Conference which will be held at The Edge, University of Sheffield.
Each delegate will be expected to produce an abstract for either an oral or poster presentation to be delivered over the two days of conference. One of the main objectives of this biennial event is for the society's ECR members to have the opportunity to present their research in a "friendly environment".
Whether you’ve just started your PhD or Post-Doc or whether you are near to their completion, the BSSS ECR Conference will be an excellent opportunity to present your research, develop your networks and think ahead about careers and job opportunities.
Here are five reasons why the BSSS ECR conference should make your 2019 diary:
1) This conference is fully funded for all of our BSSS ECR Members and covers registration, accommodation, workshops, seminars and catering.
2) It will be a friendly environment in which to hone your presenting skills and an informal forum in which to receive positive, constructive feedback.
3) There will be a special focus on job opportunities and further careers within Soil Science.
4) As well as Oral and Poster sessions, there will be engaging workshops, networking breakouts and even the possibility of research walk and talks around the green space outside the venue.
5) By attending, you will be invited to take part in and contribute to a very special BSSS ECR Time Capsule, celebrating the ECR community, which we anticipate unearthing in a reunion event at BSSS 100th Anniversary Celebrations in 2047.
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS NOW OPEN
We invite you to submit your ideas for an Oral or a Poster presentation. Please focus the weight of your abstract on the content of your presentation rather than solely the background and context.
Oral Presentations: Those delivering orals will be given 10 minutes to present to the whole audience, after which there will be some time for any questions and answers. We expect that applications for oral presentations make a strong scientific argument for the rationale behind the research, explicit reference to its novelty, the ways in which the scientific conclusions feed into wider disciplinary knowledge, the future work that you feel would be valuable and the relevance of the research to end users and society.
Poster Presentations: Posters must be A0 Portrait - other sizes will not be accepted. In the 2019 ECR conference, we anticipate investing quality and meaningful time to the dissemination of posters. Rather than giving a one-minute pitch to the whole audience, poster presenters will, in groups, carousel around a series of posters and you will be expected to give a 5 minute summary of your work beside your poster, to your group.
- Details: You must include the lead author’s name, organisation and email details.
- Length of Abstract: Maximum of 300 words
- Keywords: Up to 10 descriptive ‘search’ keywords must be included
ABSTRACTS WILL BE SUBMITTED ONLINE - DETAILS TO FOLLOW SHORTLY.