We are delighted to invite all BSSS Early Career Members to the 2019 ECR Conference which will be held at The Edge, University of Sheffield.
Each delegate will be expected to produce an abstract for either an oral or poster presentation to be delivered over the two days of conference. One of the main objectives of this biennial event is for the society's ECR members to have the opportunity to present their research in a "friendly environment".
Whether you’ve just started your PhD or Post-Doc or whether you are near to their completion, the BSSS ECR Conference will be an excellent opportunity to present your research, develop your networks and think ahead about careers and job opportunities.
Here are five reasons why the BSSS ECR conference should make your 2019 diary:
1) This conference is fully funded for all of our BSSS ECR Members and covers registration, accommodation, workshops, seminars and catering.
2) It will be a friendly environment in which to hone your presenting skills and an informal forum in which to receive positive, constructive feedback. For the first time at an ECR, we shall have two dedicated Poster Carousel sessions.
3) There will be a special focus on the 'Viva' with hints and tips from both examiners and recently successful PhD candidates. We will also focus on career opportunities within Soil Science and provide delegates a chance to hear from a range of sectors including industry, government and academia.
4) As well as Oral and Poster sessions, there will be networking breakouts and a group photo challenge around the nearby Botanical Gardens
5) By attending, you will be invited to take part in and contribute to a very special BSSS ECR Time Capsule, celebrating the ECR community, which we anticipate unearthing in a reunion event at BSSS 100th Anniversary Celebrations in 2047.
Draft programme now available here
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS NOW OPEN
We invite you to submit your ideas for an Oral or a Poster presentation. Please focus the weight of your abstract on the content of your presentation rather than solely the background and context.
Oral Presentations: Those delivering orals will be given 10 minutes to present to the whole audience, after which there will be some time for any questions and answers. We expect that applications for oral presentations make a strong scientific argument for the rationale behind the research, explicit reference to its novelty, the ways in which the scientific conclusions feed into wider disciplinary knowledge, the future work that you feel would be valuable and the relevance of the research to end users and society.
Poster Presentations: Posters must be A0 Portrait only - other sizes will not be accepted. In the 2019 ECR conference, we anticipate investing quality and meaningful time to the dissemination of posters. Rather than giving a one-minute pitch to the whole audience, poster presenters will, in groups, carousel around a series of posters and you will be expected to give a 5 minute summary of your work beside your poster, to your group.
- Details: You must include the lead author’s name, organisation and email details.
- Request: Clearly state whether you are requesting an Oral or Poster presentation
- Length of Abstract: Maximum of 300 words
- Keywords: Up to 10 descriptive ‘search’ keywords must be included
SUBMIT YOUR ABSTRACT ONLINE AT: ECR 2019 ABSTRACT SUBMISSION *This page can sometimes take up to 10 seconds to load so please be patient!