This brand new training course offers you a unique opportunity to refresh your skills or learn how to conduct and present an agricultural land classification survey. It is the only course available and has been designed and will be taught by agricultural land classification (ALC) experts from Natural England and The Welsh Government.
This course is for you if you:
- are an environmental or planning consultant and need to refresh or skills or improve your confidence and understanding of the details of the ALC system
- are a planner or planning control officer and want the skills and knowledge to better assess ALC reports
- are a soil scientist or geographer and want to add ALC survey to your list of professional skills.
ALC has a formal role in the planning system in England and Wales and is designed to prevent the loss of our best and most versatile land in line with the principles of sustainable development. We have launched this course in response to criticism of the standard of many ALC reports currently being submitted with applications for land development.
By the end of the two days you will learn:
- about how the ALC system has developed over time, its underlying principles and its role within the planning system – the WHAT, WHY and WHEN of ALC
- all the details of how land is graded – the HOW of ALC
- how to present ALC results as an expert witness
As well as taught sessions, you will carry out a group ALC grading desk exercise to further enhance your ability and confidence. You will receive a detailed, comprehensive course book and CD versions of the ALC Guidelines and Meteorological Office ALC climatic data.
Participants registered with the Society of Biology CPD Scheme can claim 42 CPD credits for attending this training event. Additionally there are 12 (e8, PD4) BASIS points available to attendees.
Register for the course here - Please note Registration closes on Wednesday 26th November 2014